Wednesday

Counting down...

So I was thinking this morning about how we count down the deployments.  The little girl in my book uses a paper chain.  She removes a link each day and she can see how the time is passing. 

I've had friends mark days off of calendars, put M and M's in a jar and eat one each day to watch them go down and lots of other ways too.

With my husband's last deployment he did something a little different for us.  He was to leave shortly after Christmas so for Christmas I received a 16 month calendar he had made.  He was to be gone for 15 months. 

He took family photos and used them in the calendar and marked special days, birthdays, anniversaries and such.  He would put only 2 more months in the month title (or what ever was left).  We loved that calendar!!  The kids loved it! 

It was fun at the end of each month to turn the page and see what he put all over that month's calendar.  If there wasn't much going on that month he would put little notes on some of the days... "I really miss you!" or "Go out for ice cream tonight and eat some for me!"  It was such fun. 

It gave us something to look forward to as time marched on for us... I think it helped time to march on too.  My husband would call and ask us if we looked at the calendar too.   It was a nice conversation starter those days when it was hard to get the kids to talk. 

He had the calendar printed at a Kinko's and it was wonderful quality and really beautiful.  It was one of my favorite Christmas gifts ever!  I even saved it after the deployment was over.  A special momento for me of my husband's love.

So, what does your family do to count down the days?  Please share in the comments.

No comments: